Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lab 5 Maps

Dot Map: I had a few difficulties with this map in deciding what value to set the dots at. I experimented with several different values. Due to the high number of persons within the age group of 22 to 29 I decided to set the dot value at 100 persons per dot. This value seemed to have the best density when the dots coalesced without overlapping too much. The rest of the map I adhered as much as possible to cartographic convention on map elements and layout.










Graduated Symbols: I really didn’t know what to choose for symbol size. I wanted to portray as much of the population change as possible. Since the populations ranged 770,000 to over 9 million I wanted to show the range. I experimented with different values using manual breaks in the classification and also the symbol size max and mins until I felt I had a well balanced map. I chose the colors according to the lab instructions which seemed to work well, and tried to maximize the use of white space.






Proportional Symbols: I had a lot of problems with this map and I’m really not satisfied with the way it turned out. The I chose the attribute, average household size, because it seemed to be one of the only ones that didn’t need to be normalized in order to work. I used a house as the symbol for a more qualitative use of the map. My legend did not work well and I had to convert it to graphics and scale the symbols manually in order to have a proper legend.





Map of the Week: I chose this map because I thought it was an interesting example of thematic mapping. The map is a 3-D representation of population change in Canada by province. Its both qualitative and quantitative. its well balanced with good use of color and map element placement. Source: geodepot.statcan.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment